Thursday, October 6, 2011

It's been too long AND DIY Masks!

Wow!! It's been WAY too long!

To my followers I am so sorry. The last 6 months has included my job change, my husband's job change, a pregnancy, a loss of pregnancy, an adoption application, a vacation, a failed detox attempt and a committment to serious gym time.

Hopefully I can begin to blog more consistently about photography, beauty and other fun things!

Today I want to share the treasure of home face masks. The issue came up because of our trip to Colorado. While in Colorado, my skin got a little dry, leathery feeling and therefore broke out more (I have weird skin).




So, as we drove further into the humidity, back to Houston I thought "I really need to do a face treatment of some kind - something that really cleans and something that adds moisture." Sadly, the only mask I had was a mineral mask from the dead sea. Now while the mineral mask can be incredible, it wasn't what I needed. I also did not want to go to the store so I thought...I can do this myself.

What I came up with was a honey (natural cleanser and has antioxidants), mayo (oils and proteins) and cinnamon (antioxidant). I mixed it all up, spread it on my face and waited. Now, I think I had too much cinnamon in there because it burned just a little but after about 15 minutes, I rinsed it off and my skin did feel better.

So, try this in the next 2 weeks. Google "DIY face mask" and find one that meets your needs - dry skin, acne prone skin, oily skin, dirty skin, etc. And have fun! Do it with friends! You can have a face mask party and set up ingredients like a salad bar and have people make their own masks. Ingredients are cheap and easy to find, some common ingredients to DIY masks are:

Mayonaise (NOT Miracle Whip, not enough oils)
Avocados
Cucumbers
Honey
Milk
Cinnamon
Oatmeal
Yogurt
Olive Oil
Tea Tree Oil

Just to name a few. This is an inexpensive, fun way to do face treatments and if using all natural ingredients is a priority for you then this is perfect!

I am going to keep trying new mask treatments and I will keep you updated. So far the mayo, honey, cinnamon was good - just go a litte easy on the cinnamon. Post a good face mask recipe if you find one! Here are links to two good ones that I found!

Oatmeal and Yogurt mask for all skin types:
http://beauty.about.com/od/skinflaws/a/facemasks.htm

And just in time for fall, a pumpkin mask for all skin types, and can help with acne:
http://beauty.about.com/od/homemadefacemask1/r/Rejuvenating-Pumpkin-Mask-For-All-Skin-Types.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment