Saturday, January 5, 2013

Emerald Green

If you could salivate over color the way one salivates over good food then I am licking my chops.

Pantone has released their color of the year for 2013: Emerald Green!


I will admit, I didn't really discover the power of emerald green until my good friend Anneke Swanson began creating a vision for her company, Emerald and Aqua.  And I found a rekindled love for green that I first had when I saw the movie "Return to Oz". (Am I the only weird kid who loved that movie in the 80's?) When Dorothy had to find and touch anything emerald green, say the word "Oz" and I believe it freed her frozen friends.

One great factor about emerald green is it does well on anyone - anyone.  Unlike lime green, kelly green or even dark "hunter" green, emerald green is bright enough to be seen, dark enough to be classy, and a perfect balance of yellow and blue to look great on everyone.  Here are some ideas on how you can go emerald in 2013:

Accessorise!

Here are some gateway uses of emerald green - you don't have to spend a lot of money, you don't have to stick out like a green thumb, just looks like you are on the up-and-up:





And of course look out for emeralds - as in the gemstone - to be very popular.  Real or fake emeralds are beautiful from the ear, finger or decolletage.  Again, these are easy, simple and subtle.  And now for a little more pop.

In the bag for a shoe up:

For a little more daring folks, add to your emerald accessories an emerald bag or even emerald shoes:







Now remember, if you have lots of extra cash, go out and get that designer emerald bag and love it but if you are like the rest of America, don't go too crazy on a trendy colored bag.  My suggestion is Ross, TJ Maxx or Marshalls.  They will most likely be getting their first emerald bags in Spring and they will be affordable!  Shoes from gap are fairly affordable but Forever 21, Rue 21, Charlotte Russe and H&M are just as up on trends and will offer emerald shoes of some kind I am sure in the fall and you don't need to break out too much green to buy the green.

Finally if you are all in, fully committed to the emerald cause then here's some headlong emerald ideas:




Grab and emerald blouse or two, get pants and even a blazer!  I think I like the idea of the blazer and the blouse the most.  The blazer will be a great staple throughout the year as you pair it with things from the rest of your wardrobe.  For ideas just Pinterest search green blazer and you'll get some great ideas.  I think the pants are a little more daring - I did bright green maternity pants this spring and summer and I have to say, although I liked them I couldn't shake the creeping insecurity every time I went out...but if you are bold then go for it.


And of course, my favorite, the emerald eye.  I am showing here a emerald shadow from Make-up Forever, Lagoon Green and a beautiful model.  Now when wearing a color you can wear it multiple ways, for suggestions see my previous blog on how to wear color eye shadows.  When looking for an emerald shadow make sure it has enough blue-ish tint so it doesn't turn into a pine tree green or bright green because it may not turn out as favorable but this is daring, courageous and awesome.  I will try to do this on myself soon and post it.  Also, you can even get an emerald green eye pencil to just line a top or bottom lid.  I've already done this twice this year :)


If you find some other great uses of emerald green anywhere, hair, in the home, babies, pets, whatever, leave a message here!  I want to see the creative uses of this wonderful color!

~Linds


No comments:

Post a Comment